It’s that time of the year where your furnace works mostly non-stop. But is it operating optimally? Well, with it running up to 15 hours a day, I would certainly hope so!
Here are some top tips to keep you warm all winter long while keeping your furnace running smoothly:
- Clean/Replace your furnace filters every 2-3 months or as required. Filters tend not to be super expensive, so this one should be easy!
- Open window treatments to let in the sun’s warmth in during the day. Close window treatments at night to slow the loss of heat through the glass.
- If you have a programmable thermostat, then set it to automatically adjust the temperature when you’re not at home. You could see up to 15% in annual savings simply by leaving your home five degrees lower for eight hours per day if you’re at work/school/vacation.
- Clean your vents. They get blocked with dust, debris, hair…
- Set your ceiling fans in reverse and turn them on, let them blow the warm air around the room for you. Just make sure to change then to the opposite in the summertime!
- Get your furnace tuned up every year! Stay up to date and be proactive, it might save you money in the long run.