When I lived in Florida, central air was a must have. When I moved to the Midwest my mind was blown that AC wasn’t a staple in every home. Now that I’ve lived here more than a few years, I totally get it! You don’t need AC to stay cool in the summer. In our house we have AC, but I can count the number of times on my hand that we’ve actually used it.
So how, oh how, can you stay cool in the hot hot summer heat?
- Use a fan
- Open windows and create a cross breeze
- Keep shades down during the mid afternoon heat wave
- Take a cold shower
- Drink lots of ice cold H2O
- Run around your house naked (please read #3 again)
- Use natural light instead of turning on all your lights
- Stay away from using the oven (look into a pressure cooker perhaps?)
- Get a large tupperware or bowl, fill with ice and H2O, submerge feet – feels good, right??
Who says you need central air to stay cool in the summertime!