National Association of Realtors (NAR) sent out a survey to over 50,000 real estate agents to ask about the housing market strength. These agents were questioned about their expectations for home sales, home sale prices and various market conditions for the month of April 2019. A few very interesting highlights are:
- Where are my first time home buyers at?! 1st timer home buyers contributed to 32% of home sales compared to 33% a year ago in April 2018.
- Hard money talks! Cash deals made up 20% of home sales compared to 21% a year ago in April 2018.
- Something that I’ve been saying over and over again… and it’s confirmed that I’m not the only one: Realtors report “low inventory” and “construction” as the major issues affecting transactions in April 2019.
First impressions are everything! Whether good or bad – they stick with you. When you’re selling your home, you want to good kind, right? YES! So follow these tips on how to spruce up your curb appeal for home buyers.
- Pressure wash your home
Get rid of those cobwebs, and any dirt that’s causing your home not to shine bright.
- Wash windows
Have peeling paint on the exterior? PAINT IT. This will also help VA and FHA home buyers to make an offer. Peeling paint is a no-go for these buyers and their financing. (Only if your home was built before 1978!)
- Spruce up your landscaping
Even if you just do the basics like mow your lawn, weed your garden/beds, and add mulch where needed.
- Don’t keep cars or trailers or boats or RVs in your driveway.
Put your vehicles and your toys away. You want home buyers to pull up and see your beautiful front and center. That’s your focal point.
- If it’s winter snow shovel your driveway and sidewalks, then lay salt down if needed.
Selling Your Home in Green Bay, WI or De Pere, WI? Call Elysian Realty! Or set up your appointment here
Home sellers, what all do you need to do for a home inspection?
Leave the house – The home inspection can take about 2-3 hours, maybe even a little more depending on the size of your home. So, home sellers, find a place to go to for that time frame. And take your animals with you.
Make sure the home inspector has easy access to: the attic, the electrical panel, sump pump, other mechanicals – I’ve had seller block in the sump pump or not have access to the attic space due to too much junk in the way and that’s created issues.
Store valuables out of sight – don’t leave money on the counter (I’ve seen this happen), don’t leave prescription pills on the counter (seen this too), don’t leave bank statements/mortgage records/life insurance policies on counter, (Yup. Seen this too), and please please please don’t leave your pornography laying out and about (ugh… Yes.)
So you want to sell your home. Great! Now what?
The FIRST thing you should do is call Elysian Realty to sell your home (come on, you knew that was coming!)
As for the basics on what to do to get your home ready to sell:
Clean! Clean, clean , clean. I can’t stress this enough. When potential home buyers see a dirty home (please read “dirty” as more like “lived-in”) they can’t stop talking about it. That means they’re not talking about the great amenities your home has to offer, but just your housecleaning habits.
Declutter! Something so easy to do. Time consuming perhaps, but easy. You’re moving anyway, get a start on packing.
Clean up your front entry way! First impressions are important.
These are the basics for selling your home at any time of the year. Talk with your agent on what else needs to be done before you list your house for sale.
“We actually set a new sales record for February.” That is a direct quote from Jean Stefaniak, the WRA (Wisconsin Realtors Association) chairman. That’s BIG news in my opinion! People always say to me that no one sells their home in the winter months – this just shows, that yes, YES they do!
Across the Wisconsin state the sales of existing homes were up in February despite increased prices and the cold winter weather. For February, home sales rose 1.2% compared to the same month last year in 2018. Although February typically counts for 5.1% of the annual sales volume – if you break that down by 12 months a year… that’s pretty good for “no houses selling.”
What this also tells me is that this 2019 year will be another great (read: busy) year. Mortgage rates are still low and there are still LOTS of home buyers out there. Competition does get more fierce in the spring and summer months – do you have an awesome Realtor working on your behalf?! Contact Elysian Realty in Green Bay, WI and De Pere, WI for all your home buying and home selling needs.
Selling your home in Green Bay, WI or De Pere, WI? Contact Elysian Realty!
Before we get into what a VA home loan is, we should start with where it came from. The VA home loan was created in 1944. The United States government did this to help service members, veterans, and
eligible surviving spouses become homeowners.
Not sure what type of house you want? No problem! A VA loan can be used to purchase a single family home, a duplex, a condo, a manufactured home, and can also be used for a new build. Keep in mind that if you purchase aduplex with a VA home loan you will be required to live in one side. Notice that I didn’t mention investment property. That’s right, a VA loan is specifically for an owner occupied buyer.
To understand the full scope on what the requirements would be to qualify for this type of loan, it’s best to contact your lender or someone at your bank. If you want some references for a couple of local mortgage lenders in Green Bay, WI, contact me.
To name a couple of the many benefits of VA loans are the lower interest rate than the typical conventional financing, and ZERO down payment. You also don’t need stellar credit. Again, talk with your mortgage lender about the credit score requirements. An even bigger bonus with the VA loan is no PMI payments (private mortgage insurance). While the Department of Veterans Affairs doesn’t issue the funding, the VA does insure it.
Fun fact: The VA has helped more than 22 million veterans achieve their dream of owning a home. Are you next?
I get it, you have a house and it’s full of furniture, memories, trinkets, kid toys, etc. I completely understand! But do you know who doesn’t always understand? BUYERS!
You don’t need to impress me when selling your home, but you need to impress potential home buyers. Do these quick fixes when your home comes on the market.
- Pack up unused items in your moving boxes! You’re moving anyway, get a head start!!
- Hide belongings in your suitcases and luggage.
- Hide stuff under your bed. Seriously, I know lots of sellers that do this, especially with kid’s toys!
- And this tip should be self explanatory but that’s not always the case: U-S-E your closets, built in cabinets, garage storage space and basement storage space.
- And finally, if it’s really stuff you don’t use or need, perhaps think about donating it. Don’t have time to drive up to Goodwill? See if they’ll come pick it up, or even put it on Craigslist for FREE and gift it to somebody.
As of January 1st, 2019, the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) have rolled out new limits on the loans they back.
Previously, the FHA’s loan limit was just under $295k, at $294,515. This will increase to just under $315k, right at $324,827 – that’s almost a 7% hike increase! This will be the new “low” as for other counties across the US that are in a higher price tag area (think counties in California or New York, NOT Brown County, WI), the loan limit can reach $726,525.
The new VA loan limit will be $484,350 and it was previously $453,100. This loan limit will be applied to all counties in the US but for 199 higher-cost counties. Again, NOT Brown County, WI.
This is good news for home buyers and for home sellers with a higher priced home in question.
For more details on these types of loans, contact your mortgage lender or banker. If you need any referrals, contact me! I’d be happy to give you a few great lenders to choose from!
Are you or someone you know in need of some home repair? If yes, then don’t miss this opportunity! TitleTown 2019 is a partnership between NeighborWorks Green Bay, Trinity Lutheran Church, and Work Camps. People of the community who are eligible for home repair/projects are the elderly, low-income, and disabled families.
Some of the home repairs include:
• Porch repair/construction
• Step repair
• Exterior painting
• Interior painting
• Wheelchair ramp repair/construction
• Mobile home skirting
To apply online for this amazing opportunity, go here
Want to save some money? Sure you do! Do some or all of these hot tips to help save on your energy costs for your home.
- Use your fans! You read that correctly, TURN THEM ON. It will help to circulate the air and keep it at a steady degree temperature-wise. And if you have the reversible blade kind make sure they are turned the right way! Summer months = counter clockwise. Winter = clockwise.
- Don’t be afraid to run your dishwasher. You’ll actually save on water and energy by NOT hand washing your dishes and letting your fancy machine do what it does best: CLEAN YOUR DISHES EFFICIENTLY.
- At night when leaving a room, turn off your lights!
- Wash your clothes in cold water instead of hot. And while we are on the washing clothes subject, if it’s a nice day outside, hang dry your clothes. Don’t like the way it makes your Sunday best look? Hang dry towels/socks/rags/sheets only then.